Our sweet apple barbecued ribs recipe is based on an award winning recipe.
This recipe works best using Pork Loin Back Ribs, which are a little meatier and more forgiving than smaller baby back ribs.
This taste treat has a hint of apple infused into the meat giving it a light and fruity taste thats sure to please.
The sauce is fruit based so it has a fair ammount of sugar in it. It is especially imoprtant to hold off on saucing the meat until the recipe calls for it, unless you like burned sauce.
Serves about 4 adults.
What you Need
- Four racks of Pork Loin Back Ribs (about 2 pounds each)
About 4 cups of apple wood chips
Magic Barbecue Dust (see below)
Our best Damn Barbecue Sauce (see below)
Magic Barbecue Dust: About 2 1/2 Cups
1/2 cup paprika 1/4 cup finely ground kosher salt1/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoons mustard powder 1/4 cup chili powder 1/4 cup ground cumin2 tablespoons ground black pepper 1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne
Mix the ingredients and store in a tightly covered container. I keep mine in an oversized air tight shaker.
Want to spice it up a little? Simplyincrease the mustard powder and black pepper to 1/4 cup each
Best Damn Barbecue Sauce: About 3 cups This incredible sauce is a little thinner than traditional barbecue sauce and it really penetrates the meat.
1 cup ketchup (use good quality) 2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar 1/2 cup apple juice or cider 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper 1/4 teaspoon cayenne1/3 cup bacon bits broken up very fine1/3 cup peeled and grated apple
1/3 cup grated onion
Combine the ketchup, rice vinegar, apple juice or cider, cider vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, white pepper, cayenne, and bacon bits in a saucepan. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the apple, onion, and bell pepper. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Stir often.
Allow to cool, then pour into sterilized glass bottles. A glass jar that used to contain mayonnaise or juice works real well. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Want your sauce a little hotter? Just add another 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the cayenne.
Preparing your Sweet Apple Barbecued Ribs Recipe
- Liberally sprinkle both sides of the ribs with Magic Barbecue Dust, coating both sides. Place them in a shallow pan or container and cover with plastic wrap or a fitted lid. Refrigerate them for at least an hour, but it’s fine to marinade overnight.
- Soak the apple wood chips in water for half an hour. In the meantime preheat your smoker to 225 degrees.
- Once the temperature is a steady 225 degress place the ribs on the smoker rack, bone side down. You will be cooking them bone side down for most of the smoking time.
- Cover and smoke the ribs for about three to four hours or until the ribs are done and tender. You know the ribs are done when they pull apart with gentle pressure.
- During the last 30 to 40 minutes of smoking time mop the ribs with the Best Damn Barbecue Sauce. Just prior to serving sprinkle a little more Barbecue Dust on the ribs.
Enjoy you Sweet Apple Barbecued Ribs Recipe
Return to top of Sweet Apple Barbecued Ribs Recipe .
Return to our Wow, Finger Lickin’ Rib Recipes.