Mention Eye of Round and most folks immediately think of a tough piece of meat in gravy that has to be cooked for hours. Not so any more. This smoked eye of round recipe will give you a new appreciation for the humble eye of round.
Next time you have a little extra room in the smoker try out this tasty and economical meal.
At your favorite butcher shop pick up a 5 to 6 pound eye of round. Stay away from a frozen or previously frozen cut, it’s worth the extra few bucks for a fresh cut.
Prepare your favorite dry rub. Better yet try one of our great Dry Rub Recipes. Trim the excess fat from the roast, not all the fat, just the excess.
- Rub down the meat with your dry rub, keep a little on the side.
- Wrap the meat in plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the meat about an hour and a half before you smoke it.
- Fire up the smoker and set the temperature to 225F.
- Select your favorite smoking wood, cherry wood is good with eye of round.
- Unwrap the round from the plastic and sprinkle with the remaining rub.
- Smoke the eye of round until the internal temperature is at least 140F.
- Remove from the smoker and let sit for about 20 minutes. This will allow the juices to flow back into the meat and it’s temperature to climb up 5 to ten degrees.
- Slice thin with your favorite barbecue sides.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with this smoked eye of round recipe. It’s a fairly inexpensive cut of meat so try it often and vary the spices in the rub to see what suits you.
Return to top of Smoked Eye of Round Recipe … Basic Meat Great Taste
Return to Smoked Meat Recipes … Other Smoked Meats.